Professional family photos are not for today. They are carefully captured memories, later to be reflected upon and enjoyed. I believe it is so important for every family to invest in professional family photos every now and then. Of course candid shots make for great memories. But professional-quality family photos are essential keepsakes every family needs. They document a moment in time and allow everyone to be in the photos and look their best. They also provide a good excuse to actually print and frame pictures, have them printed into albums or on canvas to hang in your home. But doing a family shoot can be stressful too if you don’t come prepared. Here are some of the best family photo tips to ensure your session runs as smoothly as possible and that you get the best photos.
Family Photo Tips
- The most important tip in my book: Be sure to go through your preferred photographer’s galleries and be aware of their style. Photography is an art form and every photographer has their own style. It’s important you choose one whose style is aligned with your vision for your family photos.
- Choose a location that means something to your family. Traditionally, people would do family portraits in a studio. But now, it is much more common to take the photos somewhere you love. Try a location near your home, a favorite park, beach, or place in the city. You will treasure your photos all the more with some favorite scenery in the background.
- Pick a day and time with decent weather and good lighting. You will get the best photos in the late afternoon. Late autumn and early spring are good seasons to do photos because you won’t be too hot. I tend to offer early morning or late afternoon session times to my clients.
- Prepare for kid emergencies with snacks and extra clothes. With kids involved, you know anything can happen. That horrendous diaper blowout or the total meltdown tantrum can be overcome with a spare set of clothes or a handy distraction with a handful of your kids favorite treats.
- Wear neutral colors and minimal patterns, especially if your session is outdoors against a natural setting like the park or a beach. This keeps the focus on you and your beautiful family.
- Print your photos! What good is investing time and money in having professional photos taken when they end up sitting on your computer? There are many great ways to display your photos; create a beautiful album, display them on a gallery wall in your home or add some framed photos to a shelf or table. Whatever you choose, be sure to have a plan of what to do with your images or call on your photographer to give you some suggestions and recommendations.
These are just a few pointers to get the most out of your photography investment. Interested in having some family photos done? Contact me to schedule your custom family session.